Invitation to attend the Observance of Commonwealth Day in London, March 2019
Each year the Executive Committee of the Isle of Man Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association invites applications from young people from the Isle of Man who are interested in attending the CPA Headquarters Secretariat Observance of Commonwealth Day.
This year the celebrations will take place in London on Monday 11th March 2019 and the theme for the day will be “A Connected Commonwealth”.
This opportunity is available to all young people between 18 and 25 who have an interest in the Commonwealth and parliamentary democracy and have displayed potential leadership qualities.
The day will include:
- Discussions on the Commonwealth and specifically on the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and our contribution to parliamentary democracy;
- Short debates or other presentations on current critical issues in the Commonwealth;
Attendance at the Observance at Westminster Abbey at which will be present Her Majesty The Queen as Head of the Commonwealth and all Commonwealth High Commissioners in London; and
Attendance at the Commonwealth Secretary-General’s (CSG) evening reception in the presence of Her Majesty.
Please note that only two applicants will be selected.
Overnight accommodation and attendees’ reasonable expenses (including return travel to London) will be reimbursed if required by the Isle of Man Branch of the CPA.
To apply for a place:
1. Send a letter or e-mail addressed to the below, to arrive no later than 5pm on Thursday 20th December 2018, setting out in no more than 300 words:
(a) how you would benefit from the experience; and
(b) how the Isle of Man would benefit from your attendance at the event.
In addition to the above please:
2. State your age;
3. Provide the name of your High School or confirm your IOM address; and
4. Confirm that you have not previously participated in this annual event.
If you are successful, after the event, you will be required to submit a short written report about your participation to the Branch Executive Committee which will be published online. You may also be asked to meet members of Tynwald to talk about your experience when you are On-Island after the event.
Anyone who would like to discuss this opportunity informally before submitting an application, please get in touch by phone or e-mail.
Head of Chamber & Information Service, Office of the Clerk of Tynwald