A Panel has been appointed to review the emoluments of Members of Tynwald. Its members are Ian Cochrane (chair), Jennifer Houghton and Sir Miles Walker.
Ian Cochrane is a former Manx Industrial Relations Officer. Jennifer Houghton is Chair of the Isle of Man Branch of the Institute of Directors. Sir Miles Walker was MHK for Rushen, 1976 to 2001 and Chief Minister, 1986 to 1996.
It was resolved by Tynwald on 21st February 2018 –
“That Tynwald is of the opinion that the Tynwald Emoluments Committee should establish a review to examine and report on the emoluments of Members of the House of Keys and Legislative Council, including all pay and allowances, with recommendations for a structure for salary and any related payments; and that the review should have regard to the following principles:
• The salary and benefits must be sufficient to allow anyone to be able to serve in Tynwald;
• The salary and benefits must be at a level to attract a diverse collection of community members;
• Enhanced executive and scrutiny roles should be recognized;
• Any change to the structure for pay and allowances must not result in an increase in overall costs of Members’ remuneration; and
• The recommendations of the review should maintain the principle of linking Members’ basic pay to Civil Service salary levels.”
The Panel aims to report by 31st December 2019. Its full terms of reference are available here.
Information on the present system for Members’ emoluments is on the Tynwald website here.
For further information contact:
Deputy Clerk of Tynwald
Telephone: 01624 686303